|GSCM OUTREACH PROGRAMME|
|Good Shepherd Children’s Ministry is a Christian community based organization that was established in 2013. Our offices are currently located in Wobulenzi Town Council, in Luwero District 2Km off Kampala-Gulu Highway. This organization was formed in response to the increasing rate of child abuse and neglect, increasing orphans without enough care to meet all their basic needs as children. |
Our outreach program entails; Life Skills and Self Management, communication skills, Hands on skills like baking, Financial Management Skills, Career Planning, Health Education, home visits to families that are on our support programme and children who are on our sponsorship programme. We also have children and youth conferences and workshops through out the year addressing various issues affecting children and youth.
Who can volunteer
We seek volunteers who are committed and have a strong desire and passion to help others. Individuals with experience in the following fields would be helpful. However, anyone with a passion to serve and help is welcome:
- Teachers for both kindergarten, elementary, secondary, and vocational school (classes are taught in English) with focus on Life Skills and Self management, Communication Skills, Hands on Skills like baking, Financial management Skills, Career Planning, Health Education.
- Individuals interested in working with children with disabilities.
- Those with Farming Skills
- Those gifted in Music and can Train and Teach Music
- Instructors for computer skills classes, entrepreneurship and leadership training.
- Doctors, nurses, medical and nursing students to facilitate medical camps and health workshops.
- Social workers and counselors
- Administrative work
- Public health educators
- Individuals with fundraising experience or with willingness to take on this challenge
- Grant writing and research
- IT and library skills .
- Arts and crafts, tailoring, fashion design
Activities range from gardening to administrative work. Volunteers should prepare to assist with one or more of the following:
* Teaching kids in the after-school program ranging from kindergarten, elementary/primary school, secondary school, or in the vocational school.
* Helping students with homework i.e. tutoring
* Work with students on extracurricular activities
* Home visits to child-headed households and families
* Administrative work in our offices
* Preparing progress reports for children who have sponsors
* Social media outreach and blog articles
* Fundraising activities
* Gardening and training of local farmers on modern farming practices to increase production
* Conducting workshops on community development, human rights, Health awareness, etc.
* Help with seminars on entrepreneurship and leadership training for students and local residents.
*Organizing and running youth camps.
* Family outreach in the neighboring villages.
* Counseling and career guidance
* Training of music dance and drama for the children's music groups.
* Teaching of children in the discipleship class every weekend.
* Teaching of women support groups how to tailor and design clothes as means to empower them.
What to expect
We are based in a rural community. However, we have easy access to a main highway for easy transportation to next towns.
We are a small community organization with limited funding. However, we use the limited funds efficiently to maximize its impact in the community.
A volunteer works on multiple projects to have a broad experience of community work - to understand the struggles people have and the collaborative spirit in the community as we seek solutions to address these challenges.
Our program is flexible and we can accommodate the interests of a volunteer based on your skills and experience.
The Director: Mr. Mwebaze Emmanuel runs the project and he coordinates the volunteer activities with the help of the Finance and Administration Officers: (Mr. Balikudembe Senoga and Mrs. Sarah Ssekafuwa).
You will stay at our volunteer quarters. The house is well furnished with essential facilities such as toilet, bathroom, kitchen, living room, running water and electricity.
Accommodation & Food cost
The staff would readily cook for the volunteers and volunteers are also welcomed to prepare their own meals whenever they like. Both native and continental dishes will be cooked.
We really appreciate your gift of time and try to keep costs as low as possible.
The price includes all meals and accommodation on site in a comfortable accommodations.
Transportation from the airport to our volunteer quarters is an additional $70.
Below is a brief breakdown of accommodations and Food Costs;
- Under 3 weeks: US $250
- 1st Month: US $350
- 2nd Month: + US $250
- 3rd Month: + US $150
- Subsequent months: + $150
We currently have transportation that helps us with getting to various places for field work as we implement our programs. There's also easy access to public transportation.
The people are very warm, friendly, and welcoming. The weather here is beautiful and gets hot without any humidity.
Back to the listing